Article I – Name
The name of this organization shall be the Wausau Wheelers Bicycle Club.
Article II – Purposes
The purpose of this club shall be as follows:
- To promote use of bicycles for sport, recreation and transportation at all skill levels of bicycle rider.
- To develop and promote the use of safe and competent riding techniques.
- To improve recognition by the public and public officials of the need for safer cycling conditions.
- To cooperate with public authorities in the observance of all traffic laws, ordinances and regulations.
Article III – Membership
- Individual and family membership in the club is open to anyone, regardless of sex, race or age.
- Annual dues shall be set by the Board.
- Family membership will include any (parent or guardian) children under (18) years of age or who are still attending high school during the membership year.
All memberships expire on December 31st. Active members shall be those individuals or family members whose dues are fully paid.
Any person holding an active membership shall be entitled to hold elective office in the club, have access to membership-only sections on the club website, vote on all issues presented to the membership for a vote, and participate in all club sponsored (i.e., sanctioned) rides, tours, races and other events provided the member (or parent or guardian in the case of members under eighteen (18) years of age) has executed a liability waiver in a form prescribed by the Board. Fees may be associated with some club sponsored rides or events.
Article IV – Officers
- The elected officers of the club shall be President and President Elect
- Officers for the following year shall be elected in November every two years. The Board will be the nominating committee and their nominations shall be announced to all members prior to elections in November. Any club member may nominate any other club member provided he/she notifies the Board, in writing, no later than a deadline determined and published by the Board. The nomination will only be considered valid if it contains name and contact information of the nominee, the office to which nominated, and the agreement of the nominee to accept if elected.
- Nominees shall be voted on during elections in the month of November. Officers shall be selected from among the nominees by majority vote of the active club members participating in the elections.
- If, for any reason, an elected position becomes temporarily or permanently vacant, the Board may fill any temporary vacancy for the balance of the term. In the event the vacancy is permanent, it may be filled by a special election upon such terms, and such method, as the Board shall specify.
- Officers appointed by the President shall be (3) Directors of Rides, Directory of Advocacy, Director of Programs and Treasurer.
- The immediate Past President shall be an officer.
- The voting members of the Board shall consist of all elected and appointed officers.
- Duties of the elected officers shall be as follows:
- President – Presides at the scheduled membership meetings and Board meetings; in consultation with the Board, appoints officers and Committee Chairs; performs other duties specified in the By-Laws; acts as public relations representative; monitors planning for club sponsored events and receives reports, on request, from those involved in the planning; ensures the club conducts business in a professional manner, acting as point person for any business activities and/or provisions as stipulated in the By-Laws.
- President Elect – Assists President in the business of the club; conducts meetings in the absence of the President; serves as President in the year following his/her term as President Elect.
- Directors of Rides– Acts as director for all club sponsored rides; works with other Board members and Ride Leaders to plan club sponsored rides; submits required information to Newsletter Editor and Webmaster before applicable deadlines.
- Treasurer – Receives all applications for membership; records membership applications and dues payments, forwarding originals of all applications to Secretary for retention; receives all dues and other funds of the club; deposits club funds; keeps the financial records of the club up to date; demands invoices or receipts for all financial transactions; submits a financial report at scheduled Board meetings. Works with Board members to develop an Operating Budget for the upcoming year. Assures the club maintains proper/appropriate insurance and liability coverage for all club sponsored events. Handles and files all official correspondence and other paperwork for the club, calling upon other officers and members to assist in this task as required. Sees that club membership is maintained in appropriate bicycling organizations, such as The League of American Bicyclists. Coordinates the election procedure and the process for revisions to club By-Laws.
- Director of Programs – Plans and organizes programs to create interest in bicycling and the club. Introduce the membership to bicycling related topics with guest speakers who will provide presentations, demonstrations, or activities. The programs should be relative to all cyclist levels from the beginning rider to the elite athlete.
- Director of Advocacy – Engages in activities that defend the rights of bicyclists to use the public right-of-way roads for travel, to improve the conditions for bicycling, and to make bicycling more popular and safer. Work with elected officials, governmental employees, the Wausau/MPO, Wisconsin Bicycle Coalition and other advocacy groups on both a local and statewide basis.
- Past President – previous year’s President, assists with special projects and provides counsel to the Board.
Article V – Committees
- The executive body of the club shall be known as the Board and shall consist of the elected and appointed officers of the club. The Board shall have charge of the day-to-day affairs of the club, but all actions of the Board shall be reported to the general membership through meetings, emails, newsletters or other means including the club website. The Board shall meet at dates/times designated by the President. A quorum of the Board shall consist of at least 40% of active officers. Board actions may be taken by a majority vote of Board members present.
- The appointed committees of the club are responsible for carrying out the programs and business of the club. The President shall, in consultation with the Board, establish all committees, designate their functions, and appoint committee chairpersons (who shall select their own committee members).
Article VI – Meetings
- General membership meetings of the club shall be held on a schedule to be determined by the Board. A minimum of one general membership meeting will be held annually. The meeting location should be convenient to the majority of the membership as determined by the Board.
- The active members present at any meeting or participating in an election shall constitute a quorum and, except as specified herein, any action of the club shall be taken by majority vote of the active members present/participating and voting.
Article VII – Amendments and Removal of Officers
- The By-Laws may be amended, or any elected/appointed officer removed from office by a vote of members following notice in the newsletter, on the club website, via email or by mail of the proposed amendment or removal. Any active member may propose an amendment or the removal of an officer. Proposals for amendments to the By-Laws or request for the removal of an officer must be made in writing to the Board. The Board will notify the membership of the proposal within 10 days of receipt. Amendments and/or removals will be voted on by the general membership through a voting process determined by the Board. Amendments and/or removals accepted by a vote of the majority of the participating members of the club participating in the vote will be completed with 30 days of proposal receipt and shall be considered immediately effective.
Article VIII – Club Sponsored Events
- The club, its Board and members will not be responsible for any ride, tour or other event unless it is an approved club sanctioned or sponsored event.
- No event shall be considered club sanctioned unless the following conditions are met:
- Any member wishing to propose club sanctioning of an event shall present to the Board the following information about the proposed event: the date, time, place and type of event, estimated cost, legal and financial requirements as applicable and the name of at least one other active member who will be involved in the planning and carrying out of the event.
- Following review of the information provided regarding the proposed event, a Board vote will be taken and, if approved, the event will be scheduled as a club sanctioned event.
- The President may appoint any member, including the proposing member, as chairperson of the event who will name the remaining members of the event committee and will thereafter report to the Board on the progress of the planning of the event.
- The Board may at any time suspend or revoke club sanctioning of any event.
Article IX – Assets
- No part of the net earnings of the club shall inure to the benefit of, or be distributable to its members, trustees, officers, or other private persons, except that the club shall be authorized and empowered to pay reasonable compensation for services rendered and to make payments and distributions in furtherance of the purposes of the organization.
- Should the club dissolve, all club assets will be donated to a non-profit charitable organization(s), as determine by the Board, upon dissolution.
Draft Version 2.0